How can you get PR (Permanent Residency) in Australia with cookery or carpentry studies? This is the question we asked to Melbourne registered migration agent Dimitrios Katsaros. He gave us all the different steps to follow from studying to applying for a skilled visa. 

What are the steps to get your PR in Australia?

1- Check the occupations list

The first step before applying for any visa is to check the skilled occupation list from Australian immigration’s website with a Migration Agent. Those flagged occupations from the short-term skilled occupation list (STSOL), and the medium to long-term strategic skills list (MLTSSL) can be removed any time from the list. Occupations listed under MLTSSL will give you PR pathways. Chef and carpenter are both in the Australia PR list in 2024. 

2- Study a Cookery or Carpentry course

You have to study for a minimum of 92 weeks (2 years) in cookery or carpentry. For Chef, you can study a Certificate III and IV in commercial cookery, followed by a diploma in hospitality management, that will give you the Cookery PR Pathway. For carpenter, you can study 2 years long Certificate III in Carpentry or a 1 year long course followed by a diploma in building and construction (building).

3- Work while you study

International students in Australia are allowed to work 48 hours per fortnight. This allows ample time to attend classes, complete the work and also gain experience working either working in their field or in an industry different to your own. It will accrue the number of working hours mandatory to apply for certain visas. 

4- Apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa 485

In order to be eligible to apply for the 485 temporary graduate visa, you must have completed a minimum of 92 weeks relevant study as well as a minimum of 360 hours of relevant work placement (most education providers will arrange this for you). With the Graduate work stream of the 485 visa, you will be eligible for an 18 months visa after your studies..

5- Participate in the Job Ready Program

If you want to apply for a skilled visa without sponsorship you can participate in the Job Ready Program. During your 485 visa you must work for at least 12 months (1,760 hours) in the field that you have just been qualified in, for example as a qualified chef or carpenter. Your employer will not need to sponsor your visa, as you will already be on the graduate visa (this will increase your chances of finding employment).

6- Apply for the skilled migration visas

Once you have completed the Job Ready Program in the job you have qualified in you will need to apply and receive a positive skills assessment.  If eligible, the general skilled migration visa ( Subclass 190 or Subclass 491) does not require you to have an employer that is willing to sponsor you. You will need to garner 65 PR points or more under General Skilled Migration, to apply for the visa.





PR Pathway Australia Cookery

Cookery Courses for PR in Australia

Studying commercial cookery in Australia can lead to a great career and a pathway to PR. With a burgeoning culinary scene, Australia, especially Melbourne, is in constant need of chefs. Since June 22, 2021, Chef has been added to the priority migration skilled occupation list.

PR Pathway for Cookery

These visas are awarded on a points basis, and the qualifying minimum is 65 points. So, how can you increase your points for the Australian PR?

PR Points will be awarded based on the following:

  • Age
  • Educational Qualifications
  • Points for Professional Year
  • Points for NAATI- Credentialled Community Language
  • Points for Two Year Study
  • Points for English
  • Points for Regional Study
  • Points for Work Experience
  • Points for Specialist Educational Qualifications (STEM)
  • Points for Partner

Cookery and Carpentry Courses

Study Commercial Cookery in Australia and Become a Chef - Commercial Cookery a great Pathway to PR

With a burgeoning scene Australia and especially Melbourne is in constant need of Chefs. Since the 22nd of June 2021, Chef has been added to the priority migration skilled occupation list.

What are the requirements to study cookery? 

  • 5 overall in IELTS with no band less than 5
  • A minimum of Australian Year 11 schooling or equivalent completed

Is Cookery on the PR List in Australia 2024?

Yes, cookery is on the PR list in Australia in 2024. Chefs and carpenters are both on the medium to long-term strategic skills list (MLTSSL), making them eligible for PR pathways.

What is the content of the course?

Most schools will package 2 to 3 courses in order to get the eligibility for the 485 visa. You will be most likely studying a Certificate III in commercial cookery, followed by a Certificate IV in commercial cookery and to finish a Diploma in Hospitality management. The qualification relevant for this occupation by VETASSESS is SIT40516 Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery.

Study Construction and become a Carpenter

The carpentry industry might be your best choice to migrate to Australia, carpenters are eligible for all kind of PR (Permanent Residency) visa options. Trade jobs also have a high demand in Australia and you’ll get work very easily.

What are the requirements to study carpentry?

  • Overall in IELTS 5,5 with no band less than 5

  • A minimum of Australian Year 11 schooling or equivalent completed

What is the content of the course?

The qualification relevant for the occupation of carpenter for your skill assessment is CPC30211 Certificate III in Carpentry. Some schools will package the Certificate III in Carpentry with a Diploma in Building and Construction (building).

How Do You Get PR in Chef?

To get PR as a chef, you need to follow the cookery PR pathway: study for at least 92 weeks, gain relevant work experience, participate in the Job Ready Program, and then apply for a skilled migration visa.

What’s next? Want to know more about Cookery Courses?  Book a FREE consultation with us to discuss about the studies options:

Book a consultation or contact us by email or phone – //  +61 (0)3 9939 1711

Contact us