Note: At Study Destination we work together with our registered migration agent, as Study Destination is only an education agency and can not provide assistance with Permanent Residency.

What is the best pathway to get PR in Australia with a student visa?

Not all the occupations on the skilled migration list are easy pathways to residency and the list is updated every year.

So, what are the best PR courses in Australia leading to an occupation that is likely to remain on the long term list?

Which occupations are highly in demand and what are the best courses to get a job in Australia? What can you study to start your PR pathway?

Studying the right trade or vocational course can significantly increase your chances of obtaining an Australian Work Visa and achieving long term goals in Australia.

Simple 4 Step Process - Stay Long Term in Australia

1. Enrol on a Course

Firstly, you must enrol in the right course(s) – one that trains you for a position or occupation on the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL).

2. Apply for a Post Study 485 visa

After graduation, you may be eligible to apply for a temporary work visa called a 485 Graduate Visa.

3. Undertake Job Ready Program

Job Ready Program involves 12-months of paid work experience in the occupation that you have just qualified in and can lead to a positive skills assessment for migration purposes.

4. Apply for 190 or 491 visas

Finally, after receiving a positive skills assessment, you may be eligible to apply for General Skilled Migration Visas. Common visas include the State Nominated (Subclass 190) or Regional Nominated (Subclass 491) Work Visas.

Trade Courses for PR in Australia

​These courses train you for a position that is on the medium- and long-term skill list. After at least 92 weeks of study and a minimum of 360 hours of work placement you may be eligible to apply for 485 post study work visa.

Technicians and Trades Workers undertake a variety of skilled manual tasks. They apply technical, trade or industry specific knowledge in construction, manufacturing, engineering and other activities.

Most occupations are highly in demand and only require a Certificate III or IV. This is always a safe choice for international students who are good with their hands and one of the best PR courses in Australia. The price for 2 years will vary from $14,000 to $30,000 depending on the quality of the college and if you choose a TAFE or a private provider. ​Please always be aware that occupations may be removed from the skilled occupations list, but at this time this information is correct. For more information on the Skilled occupation list please follow the link and also speak directly with a migration agent. Also, in this article you can check the best courses for pr in australia.

What are the trade courses you can study to get PR in Australia?

​We have a brochure that highlights further information about courses and locations, just click below.


Am I allowed to work while studying a trade?

Yes , there is currently a temporary relaxation of working hours for international students  meaning you can work 40 hours per week before and during your course.
Normally international students are only permitted to start working once your course has started you are allowed to work part-time which is equivalent to 40 hours a fortnight. Exceptions for term breaks and school holidays students are allowed to work unlimited hours.  

Where can I study a trade course in Australia?

You can study trades in every state in Australia. There are courses available in Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Darwin, Perth, Adelaide and many more locations

How long does it take to complete a trade qualification?

It depends on which trades program you are enrolling in and what are your future plans. Trade qualifications generally take 24 months to complete in Australia.

Are trade workers in high demand in Australia?

These industries are booming at the moment, and you will be able to get a career in some of the highest-paying jobs in the country. It might be time to start investing in your future. As the Albanese government prepares to hold a Jobs and Skills Summit, bringing together unions, employers and industry groups, the Prime Minister has released the top 10 “hottest jobs” based on employer demand.

The list includes construction managers, civil engineering, early childhood (pre-primary school) teachers, registered nurses, ICT business and systems analysts, software and applications programmers, electricians, chefs, child carers and aged and disabled carers.

Is vocational placement mandatory?

Vocational placement is the requirement for a student who is completing a course to undertake practical training and gain experience in a real-life workplace. Vocational Placement is offered in most trade courses such as Carpentry, Joinery, Automotive Mechanical, Automotive Electrical, Engineering Fabrication, Bricklaying, Boat Building, Chef, Electro-Instrumentation and many more. To be eligible to apply for a 485 5 visa you must complete a minimum of 360 hours work placement during your course.

Can studying a trade in Australia lead to permanent residency?

Completing two years of studying trade at a recognised Australian University, vocational school or college can give way to applying for the Australian post-study work visa (Subclass 485), which allows all individuals to temporarily work and study in Australia for up to four (4) years depending on their qualification. This duration of time also allows for those who was interested in applying for a PR, more opportunities to heighten their eligibility – which is based on criteria such as qualifications, work experience and written and verbal command of the English language. 

How much does it cost to study a trade in Australia?

Prices vary depending on the course, the average price per year is between $7,000 – $14,000.

How many hours a week will I be studying a trade course in Australia?

Timetables vary depending on the trade and education provider; however, most courses are 15-20 hours per week, over 2-2.5 days.

Can I add my partner and children to my application?

Your partner or family members can be included on your application. They will have the same work rights as you do unless you are studying for a Masters degree. In this case your partner will have full time work rights. They will also need to have OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover) and pay for a visa fee at the application stage.

Can I go on holiday and leave the country while studying trades?

Yes absolutely, the student visa 500 is a multiple entry visa. You are allowed to leave the country as much as you like to visit your family back home or go traveling. However, your priority must always be your school, going to class and completing the assessments, sp try to only plan your trips during your school holidays / term breaks! Students can expect to have roughly 10 – 15 weeks of holiday per year.