Are you an international student dreaming of studying in Australia with your partner by your side? This comprehensive guide will help you understand the process of adding your partner to your student visa application, allowing them to work, live, and study in Australia.

Adding my partner to my Student VisaπŸ’‘

One of the most significant advantages of adding your partnerΒ when you apply for aΒ Student Visa is that it allows them to work, live, and study in Australia alongside you. This means you can support each other's educational and career aspirations while exploring the beauty of this incredible country together.

Can I bring my partner to Australia on a student visa?Β  πŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊπŸ‘©β€β€οΈβ€πŸ‘¨

You might be wondering if it's possible to bring your partner to Australia on a Student Visa. The answer is yes, but it's important to understand the eligibility criteria and requirements involved. We'll dive into these details to ensure you have a clear path to achieving your academic goals as a couple.

Requirements Criteria for Adding My Partner to My Student Visa

Adding your partner to your Australian Student Visa is an exciting step in your journey, but it comes with specific requirements and criteria that you must meet. Ensuring you meet these requirements will streamline the application process and enhance your chances of success.

Financial Requirement πŸ’°πŸ’³

To demonstrate financial stability, you'll need to provide evidence of:

  • Proof of funds to cover living expenses in Australia. This includes funds for accommodation, food, transportation, and other daily necessities. πŸ‘πŸ½οΈπŸš—
  • Evidence of tuition fee payments: covers the cost of your courses. πŸŽ“πŸ’Έ

From 1 October 2023, the 12-month living costs are:

  • Students or Guardians - AUD 24,505 / AUD 2042Β per month
  • Partners - AUD 8,574 / AUD 715Β per month
  • ChildΒ  - AUD 3,670. / AUD 306Β per month

Education Requirements πŸ“šπŸŽ“

As part of your application, you'll be required to submit:

  • Original or certified copies of academic qualifications. These documents validate your educational background and your ability to pursue your chosen course in Australia. πŸ“œπŸŽ“
  • Evidence of English language proficiency. Proving your proficiency in English ensures you can communicate effectively in an English-speaking academic environment. πŸ—£οΈπŸ“

Health Requirement πŸ₯πŸ’‰

  • Complete a medical check-up from a panel doctor approved by the Australian government. This check ensures you meet the health standards set by Australian authorities. πŸ©ΊπŸ’Š
  • Obtain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). This health insurance is crucial for any medical needs during your stay in Australia. 🌏πŸ₯

IMPORTANT:Β Choose the Right health insurance (OSHC)

If you're coming with family, get the same insurance. Don't try to save money by getting different insurances. It can be expensive if something happens.Β 

Different policies can create complications. Insurance companies state a couple is not allowed to have two single policies. Instead, the couple must have couple’s insurance. A Single OSHC insurance policy applies to the overseas student who is the primary Student Visa holder and who does not have dependents linked to their Student Visa. For an overseas student with dependants joining them in Australia, a Couple, Single-Parent and/or Family OSHC policy applies.

Β So, a single health policy can cover a single applicant, while a dependent couple or a few family members will need a 'couple insurance' or 'family health cover'.

Character Requirement πŸ‘€πŸ“œ

  • Obtain a Police clearance certificate. This certificate confirms you have no criminal record, ensuring a safe and lawful stay in Australia. πŸš“πŸ“œ

  • Submit Form 80 (Personal particulars for character assessment). This form provides personal information used for character assessment. πŸ‘€πŸ“‹

Other Requirements πŸ“‹πŸŒ

  • Having a valid passport. Ensure your passport is up to date and will remain valid throughout your stay in Australia. πŸ›‚βœˆοΈ
  • Providing recent photographs for visa documentation. πŸ“Έ
  • Evidence of travel arrangements to leave Australia if necessary. 🌍✈️
  • Evidence of your relationship with the student visa applicant (for couples). This may include marriage certificates or other documentation that proves your genuine relationship. πŸ’‘πŸ’ž
  • Accommodation arrangements in Australia. 🏑🧳
  • If you've lived in other countries, you may need to provide clearances or documentation from those countries as well. πŸŒπŸ“‹
  • Payment of visa application fees. Be prepared to cover the fees associated with your visa application. πŸ’³πŸ’Έ
  • Lodging the visa application form. Ensure you complete and submit the necessary application forms accurately. πŸ“‹πŸ›οΈ
  • Undergoing a health assessment if required by the Department of Home Affairs. This ensures you meet health standards for your stay in Australia. πŸ₯🩺
  • Meeting the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement. This requirement ensures that you intend to stay in Australia for genuine educational purposes. πŸ“œπŸ›οΈ

If you are married or in a de facto relationshipπŸ“‹πŸ’‘:

  • The student visa applicant and the partner must provide a copy of their marriage certificate if they are married. This is essential to prove your marital status. πŸ‘°πŸ€΅

  • Couples may also need to provide evidence of cohabitation, such as shared bills, lease agreements, or other documents demonstrating shared living arrangements. πŸ‘πŸ“‹

How Long Does It Take to Get a Student Partner Visa in Australia? β³πŸ“…

The processing time for a student partner visa can vary depending on individual circumstances and visa types. On average, it can takeΒ 2-3 months. Therefore, it's crucial to plan ahead and begin the application process inΒ advance to ensure a smooth transition to your Australian adventure. β³πŸ•°οΈπŸ›οΈ

How to Complete the Paperwork for Adding My Partner to My Student Visa

Adding your partner to your Australian Student Visa involves paperwork, but with the right guidance, it can be a manageable process.Β At Study Destination we help you through the whole process so that you can have a successful and stress-free application. Do not hesitate to contact us!
Follow these steps to ensure everything is in order:

Before you begin the application, gather the necessary documents. You'll need:Β 

  • Your passport and visa: Ensure they're valid and have ample time before expiration. πŸ›‚βœˆοΈ
  • The completed Partner Visa Application Form (IMM 5257): Fill this form entirely and accurately. If a section doesn't apply to you, mark it as N/A. πŸ“„πŸ–‹οΈ
  • A photocopy of your partner's passport or travel document: Make sure it's clear and legible. πŸ“ΈπŸ›‚
  • Proof that you've been living together for at least 12 months: This could include joint bank statements, utility bills, lease agreements, or other documentation that demonstrates your shared living arrangements. πŸ‘πŸ“‹
  • If you have children together, you'll need to provide their birth certificates and photos. πŸ§’πŸ“œπŸ“·

Pay the Application Fee

The current application fee is AUD 530. Ensure you make this payment as part of your application process. πŸ’³πŸ’²


Tips for Ensuring a Smooth and Successful Addition of Partner to Student Visa Application

  • Plan Ahead: Start the process early to avoid delays in your study plans. πŸ—“οΈπŸ“†
  • Gather the Required Documentation: Ensure you have all the necessary documents, including passport and visa information, proof of relationship (such as marriage certificates), financial evidence, etc. πŸ“‚πŸ“‹
  • Apply Early: Begin the process as soon as possible to allow ample time for processing. β³πŸƒ
  • Research the Requirements: Familiarise yourself with the requirements and documents needed for a successful application. πŸ“šπŸ“
  • Get Professional Advice: Seek guidance fromΒ experts (Like us!πŸ‘©β€βš–οΈ)
  • Check for Updates: Regularly check the Department of Home Affairs website for updates or changes to visa regulations. πŸ“°πŸŒ
  • Stay Organised: Keep all relevant documents, evidence, and contact information in one place for easy access throughout the process. πŸ“‚πŸ“‹


Who Is Eligible for a Student Partner Visa in Australia? πŸ“‹πŸ€

To be eligible, you need to meet certain requirements, including financial, educational, health, character, and relationship criteria.

Can I add my partner as a secondary applicant on another visa such as a 457 visa?

Generally, you can add your partner as a secondary applicant to most permanent and temporary work visas, including the 457 visa and general skilled migration visa. However, specific eligibility criteria and requirements may apply, so it's essential to consult with immigration authorities or professionals for the most accurate information. πŸ€πŸ“„

What is the cost to add my partner to my visa?

If you apply at the same time as the main applicant, the current cost is 530 AUD. Be aware that visa application fees can change, so it's advisable to check the latest fees when you apply. πŸ’²πŸ·οΈ

Can I apply from onshore?

Yes, you can usually apply from onshore, provided you do not have a "no further stay" condition on your visa or any other condition preventing you from applying within Australia. 🌏🏠

What happens to my visa if my partner and I break up?

If you break up with your partner, you are no longer considered the de facto partner of the main applicant. Consequently, you may need to notify immigration authorities of changes in your family unit. Depending on your situation, you may need to leave Australia or apply for a different visa. It's crucial to address this situation promptly to maintain legal status. πŸ’”πŸ“‘

Dependent Family Members on a Student Visa

A student visa usually allows you to bring close family members as dependents, including a spouse or partner and children under 18 or those still in continuous education (e.g., studying A-levels). Work rights for dependent partners may vary depending on the main applicant's course of study. πŸ“œπŸ‘¨β€πŸ‘©β€πŸ‘§β€πŸ‘¦πŸ“š


Contact us