It can be a tough a dirty job but the opportunities and salaries definitely make it worthwhile!

The construction industry in Australia is one of the largest in Australia. It generates more than $360 billion in revenue, and it continues to grow as more and more international people are choosing a rewarding career in the trades. In addition to that, trade profiles have grown across the country with both suburban, countryside, and rural demand – and is seen as one of the most attractive pathways for international students with great salary available.

There are endless jobs, and as no two roles are the same it doesn’t matter if you are brand new to the industry or have years of experience under your toolbelt (see what we did there!) you will find something that you love!

There are many courses available for international students which could help you embark on a career or gain extra skills and knowledge for your current job!

A Student Visa is great because it allows you to study something new, work, travel and live in your favourite city!

Some of the most popular roles are also some of the most in demand jobs in Australia which can enable you to have a long career in Australia or upskill and increase your knowledge ready for when you return home.

The occupations for working in Construction with courses available for international students are listed below:

List of construction trades in Australia:

- Carpenter

- Joiner

- Painting Trades Worker

- Wall and Floor Tiler

- Bricklayer

- Civil Engineering Drafts person

- Electrician

The first steps into making plans can be overwhelming when dealing with student visa path to PR which is why we are here to help you every step of the way! 

If you’re interested in learning about some of the study courses and trades in Australia that could help you develop your professional career and could lead you to become a permanent resident in this great country called Australia contact us for a free consultation with one of our experts!

5 reasons to work in the construction industry:

  1. Self-designed workdays with flexible hours and remote work options.
  2. Choose your career 
  3. Great salary 
  4. Career progression
  5. Long term possibilities

If you’re looking to work in the construction industry, we can help you to find work in Melbourne and Sydney and soon Brisbane!

Frequent asked questions about the Construction Industry in Australia:

Do I need to be qualified before I can find a job? What do you need to work in construction in Australia?

No! you can work as a labourer without any formal qualifications but if you want to become a qualified tradesperson then you will need to have the qualification and experience. However, you need a white card to start working in this industry. 

What is a white card?

A white card (or general construction induction card) is issued to individuals who complete general construction induction training. It serves as proof that workers have a basic understanding of health and safety precautions on a work site.


Where to obtain your white card? 

There are a few different training providers but the above are two of the most popular. 

White cards must be carried out face to face, and there are a lot of scams that try to do them online. Here are two recommended institutions:


What trade courses can I study as an international student?

You can study a range of different courses in various states. 




Upon successful completion of this course, the types of occupations that you can seek include:

  • Civil Engineering Draftsperson
  • Civil Engineering Design Draftsperson
  • Civil Engineering Technician


What is a draftsperson and what does a draftsperson do??

The draftsperson (or draftsman) is a member of a construction team that develops the technical drawings required to design buildings and build infrastructure. The draftsperson usually works with architects, engineers and designers to produce detailed construction plans.

How to become a draftsperson?

Can I stay longer in Australia if I study one of these courses?

Studying a course which is directly linked to an occupation on the Medium / Long term skilled occupation list can be a pathway to Permanent Residency. As there are different eligibility requirements our Migration agent can talk you through this.

How can I find work in Construction? How to get a job in construction:

We are partnered with JV Recruitment, they are a construction recruitment agency looking for both short-term and long-term work for Labourers, Trades and Trade Assistants throughout Victoria, NSW and QLD. Click the link above to get in touch with JV Recruitment.

How long are trade courses?

Most trade courses are 2 years in length, which would give you a student visa for at least 26 months.


What are the entry requirements to study a trade?

You need to have a good level of English and have finished Secondary School/high school.


Will there be work experience whilst I am studying?

Yes! Within your course you will learn the theory of the trade and the practical side of things. All the schools have workshops where you learn exactly how to do everything so that you’re ready to start your new job after you have qualified. All courses include work experience in the construction industry. There is normally at least 360 hours of work placement included in your course.


What are my visa options after I have completed the course?

After at least 92 weeks of study and a minimum of 360 hours of work placement you may be eligible to apply for 485 post study work visa.


What if the occupation is removed from the medium and long term skill list?

​There is always a chance that this might happen but as it stands (Sep 2022) these are all on the skill shortage list and are some of the most in demand occupations in Australia. Please always be aware that occupations may be removed from the skilled occupations list, but at this time this information is correct. For more information on the Skilled occupation list please follow the link.

Contact us