Do you like children? Are you looking for a different experience in Australia? Do you want to move to Australia but would like to be part of a family? Then perhaps Au Pair work is just what you need!

Becoming an Au Pair in Australia is a great way to experience the Australian way of life while sharing a home with an Australian family and looking after their kids. Whether you have a WHV or apply for a student visa, this is a great way to fully experience Australian life.

What is an Au Pair?

An au pair is typically a young person, probably from another country, who wants to come to Australia. Either to learn English and live as a member of an Australian family or to have an alternative experience.

Au pairs are employed to take care of children and may also do light housework in exchange for meals and a small allowance. 

Au pairs are not trained nannies and may have little or no training. In families with school-age children, Au Pairs are mostly employed for before and after school care. If there are young children in the family, Au Pairs may also be employed for a few hours during the day.

At least 80% of an Au Pair's day-to-day tasks must focus on the direct care of the family's children and the other 20% can be dedicated to light household chores.

What is the difference between an Au Pair and a Nanny?

The au pair is not a professional nanny. Au pairs are part of an intercultural exchange and are treated usually as big sisters, joining the family in meals and activities. Unlike nannies, who usually work as paid professional carers and do not take part in a cultural exchange. The nanny is an experienced professional who looks after children at home, while an au pair is an overseas guest who lives full time with the family, helping to care for the children at home, in exchange for accommodation, food and allowances. 

Which visa should I get to become an Au Pair?

Au pairs in Australia can receive a 12-month Working Holiday Visa or a Student Visa. If you get the Working Holiday Visa, the position can last for the length of the visa, although some Au Pairs may wish to travel for a few months at the end of the visa.

If you want to study while being an Au Pair you can become a Demi Pair. 

What is a Demi Pair?

A Demi Pair is a full-time student and a part-time Au Pair on a student visa. Is the perfect combination to study and work in Australia. Whether you are a student looking for work opportunities or an Au Pair seeking to improve your educational background, this programme is the perfect money-saving solution. 

A Demi Au-Pair is not a qualified nanny, she works as a helper, as an assistant to the mother, by sharing domestic and childcare tasks according to the needs of the family.

How long can I work as an Au Pair?

You can work as an Au Pair in Australia for the length of your Visa.

The minimum term of an Au Pair placement is three months (12 weeks) with possibility of extension. The accommodation provided is normally a private room and includes three meals a day. Typically the amount of work you will perform is around 15 to 20 hours per week.

What are the requirements to become an Au Pair or Demi Pair?

You must be at least 18 years old when you arrive in Australia. You should have a Pre intermediate /IELTS 5.0 English Level to be able to communicate with the family. A police clearance certificate, required in Australia for people doing work with children. Some families may require an international drivers licence and the ability to swim.


If you want to discuss the different options available for you, please contact us and we will be happy to help!

Contact us