If you are currently holding a student visa, and you want to change your school, we can help you to make the change, it is very easy.

1. Reviewing Your Eligibility
Firstly, one of our consultants will review your current situation and determine what options are available to you. We have a lot of knowledge about the Australian Study Requirements, Visa limitations, and Transfer Policies so we will be able to guide you through everything. As each situation is unique, book in for a consultation now and we will contact you to discuss everything to find you the best outcome.

2. Finding the Right Course
We will go through the courses available to you and together we will find the best study plan for you. We can provide course lists for each city, in depth knowledge of every school and advice about your future career options. When you have decided which course and/or school you would like to enrol in we will request the required documents from you and being the application process for you.

3. Transfer/Cancellation Request
When a Letter of Offer has been received for your new course/school we can request to either cancel your enrolment or transfer to another provider. This is dependent on your current situation, our consultants will explain this with you.

4. Finalising Your New Enrolment
If your request to cancel your enrolment with your current school/transfer of provider has been approved, you then need to pay the deposit to your new school and accept the Letter of Offer. This will allow your new Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) to be issued.

5. Starting your New Course
You are now ready to start your course! The whole Study Destination team will continue to support you throughout your studies and be on hand to assist you with any required visa assistance.

6. What are the consequences of my visa if I change my enrollment?
You need to comply with your visa conditions. You need to keep in mind that the hange of your school or course need to meet the genuine temporary entrance criterions and it needs to algn with your caeer goal. Ensure that you transfer to a course of study that is eligible for your current visa. Otherwse you will need to apply for another student visa. For any changes affecting your visa the Department of Immigration and Border Protection needs to be notified.

Good things to know!

The 6-month Rule

If you have completed less than 6 months of your principal (main) course you can only change education providers in some situations. Your principal (main) course is the highest (or last) course you are enrolled in for which your student visa was granted.

If you have completed more than 6 months of your principal (main) course and are studying at the same AQF level or higher then you do not need to inform Immigration – your new provider will do this.

Changing to a lower-level AQF Course

You must stay enrolled at the same or higher course level (unless you are dropping from a Doctoral degree - PhD to a Master’s degree), or you may be breaching condition 8202 of your visa and this can mean your visa will be cancelled.

The Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) sets course levels.

Applying for Credit Transfer

If you are transferring to another education provider and you want to apply for a credit transfer this may be possible. The new provider will have their own credit transfer policy and our consultants can talk you through this.

Financial Difference

There may be a difference in tuition fee or a cancellation fee to pay as well as a deposit fee to pay ion order to confirm your enrolment. You need to be able to fund all of these if required.

Transfer Policies

Every school and education provider has their own transfer policy however they are based on the National Code for Education Providers. Our consultants at Study Destination will explain your providers transfer policy with you, but it will also be listed on their website and your offer letter.

Release Approval

Your current education provider must provide a letter of release if you have been studying your principal course for less than 6 months before you can enrol in a new course at a new provider. If this is not received, you will not be eligible to enrol.

Visa Implications

If you’re changing to a lower level AQF course will need to apply for a new student visa.

You would need to apply for a new visa in these example situations:

You are studying a Bachelor of Science (AQF Level 7) at a university. You want to change to a Diploma of Accounting (AQF Level 5) at the same institution.

You are studying a Certificate IV (AQF Level 4). You want to transfer to an ELICOS course (non-AQF course) at a different institution.

If the new course you are studying is longer than your current visa you will have to apply for a new student visa in order to cover you for your full duration of the course before your current visa expires.

You do not need to apply for a new student visa if your new course is the same or higher AQF level or if you are changing course from AQF Level 10 (Doctoral degree) to AQF Level 9 (Master's degree).


If your request to transfer has been refused you may be eligible to appeal the decisions through an internal complains and appeals process or through the Overseas Student Ombudsman.

The information contained in this page is general in nature only and does not constitute personal advice. The information has been prepared without taking into account your personal objectives, situation or needs.  Study Destination does not guarantee the accuracy of the information including information provided by third parties.  Individuals must not rely on the information on this website to make decisions.