What is regional work?

You may have heard or will surely hear many different stories about it.
Regional work (commonly called farm work) gives you the opportunity to apply for a second or even a third year working holiday visa.

How to be eligible for a 2nd Working Holiday Visa?

To be eligible to apply for a second year of Working Holiday (subclass 417 or subclass 462) visa, you must have done a “specified work” also called ‘farm work’ or ‘regional work’ in certain circumstances.

Specified work is work that is done in a “specified” industry in a designated regional area of Australia. Information on eligible regional areas and industries is provided below.

Any more questions about farm work?

100% free, always.

Primary sector

Are accepted plant and animal cultivation, fishing and pearling, tree farming and felling, mining and construction.

88 working days

You can do them all at once or at different times depending on the farm location, weather, work needed, or just your own envy

Regional areas

You have to work in specific locations outside the cities where more people are needed for work and help out rural zones.
You must have completed 3 months of ‘specified work’ with a minimum period of 88 calendar days, including weekends or equivalent rest days during your period of employment.
If you are on a visa subclass 417 you can work in the following industries: Plant and animal cultivation, fishing and pearling, tree farming and felling, mining, construction. While any of these jobs are suitable, by far the most common way of obtaining your second year visa is seasonal farm work.
You cannot complete your specific work in any state, you have to do it in one of the specified regional areas in Australia. You have to check which states and which postcodes are eligible. Some states like South Australia and Tasmania count as regional Australia in their entirety but others states such as Victoria requires you to avoid the main city Melbourne and his surroundings.
be 18 to 30 years old (inclusive) - except for Canadian, French and Irish citizens who can be 18 to 35 (inclusive)
The average processing time for the second year visa is from 1 to 26 weeks, so try to start your application process at least 28 days before your first visa expires to account for any difficulties that could arise.
If you made the request in Australia, you have to be in the territory until you receive your granted visa. You can also apply out of the country but you can’t come back to Australia until your visa is granted. Once your visa is granted, you have 12 months to enter the country from that date.
It is now possible to apply for a third year of working holiday visa if you have completed 6 months of ‘specific work’ during your second year visa.

Latest News

Ask us anything!
100% free, always.

Start your adventure by getting in touch with our team.

We will reply to you within 2 business days.

    Are you already in Australia? YesNo

    How did you hear about us? GoogleWord of MouthSocial MediaOthers

    Study Destination is an education agency which offers free assistance for you to Live, Study & Work in Australia. Every year we help hundreds of people, just like you, who chose to pack their bags and start living the Australian dream, down under. Contact us today and ask one of our team members anything regarding your journey in Australia.